Prior to 1918 there were seven one-room school houses in the Valley Center district. Bear Valley located on the
northwest corner of the Guejito ranch; Victor, on the Woods property at the intersection of Bear Valley and Woods Valley roads; Vesper, on land that was homesteaded by Columbus Dinwiddie; Lilac School. on the Lilac ranch; Valley Center School on Walsh land; Watkins, on the northwest corner of the Stripland land on Cole Grade road, and Mountain View school. These buildings burned and school was being held in vacant homes in the district. The school house had been on
the Binginan Mesa.
Then in 1918, Valley Center, Vesper and Watkins united. In 1920 Mountain View and Victor joined the Union, giving in attendance of forty pupils. The new School Board was made up of one Trustee from each district.
Since no one of the school building was large enough to accomodate the new enrollment, it was decided to build a
new Union School. The different locations discussed were the corner on the Lilac and Main roads which was owned by
Madam Tingley. Also three acres on the Cole Grade road belonging to the County was considered. One and a half acres
where the Vesper School stood and the Valley Center location were also considered. This last site would be more central for all, since an attempt was being made to get Lilac School to join the Union. An election was held and the Valley Center location received the majority votes. This site consisted of two and a half acres which was not considered large enough,
so Mr. Dolan, of Los Angeles, who owned a large ranch joining the school grounds, was contacted. Mr. Dolan came to
Valley Center to confer with the school board and agreed to sell two and a half acres, lying between the present school
grounds and Madam Tingley's land on the Main road, for eighty dollars per acre. He further agreed to donate forty
dollars per acre, in which case said site cost the school district approximately $100.00.
A bond election was then held with the bonds carrying. These were sold to the County and resold to the Escondido
Savings Bank. The bonding capacity of the five united districts was less than $4,500.00, but in November, 1910, the
Farm Bureau had been formed in the Valley and this group decided to make the building of a new school their Community Project. A committee was appointed to meet with the school board and the two committees decided to combine a school and Community Hall, so that other groups could use the building. Plans were drawn up for a two story building, the three upper rooms to be used for school rooms and the lower floor as a Community Hall. These plans were submitted to the School Superintendent and accepted. The plans were put out for bids and the lowest received was $12,000. In the meantime the Valley Center school had burned, and $1,000 of the money had to be used to buy equipment so school could open that fall term.
The people of the Valley were determined to have both a school and a Community Hall. Realizing that the small
amount of money left would scarcely start the school building, they decided to do all the work themselves. The head of
each family pledged so many days work. There were several skilled workman in the Valley and these men were put in
charge. In many instances the men not so apt at making concrete blocks or carpentering would do their neighbor's ranch
work so the rancher could put this time at work on the building. When there was a day that an extra crew was working, the women of the Home Dept. would prepare and serve a hot dinner. There were donations of material and money for both the school and the hall. None of the school funds were used in the building of the Community Hall. Dances were given until the indebtedness on the Hall was paid off.